Estate Planning Lawyers in Astoria, NY: Helping Clients Plan for the Future, Today
Taking the first steps in estate planning usually means accepting, at least on some level, our own mortality. And while, sure, everyone knows they’re mortal and one day will pass on, it is still a concept that can be difficult to reckon with.
But consider this: you are taking steps to begin estate planning not for yourself but for those you love, those who rely on you, and those who you would like to see inherit a better world than the one that was left to you.
The law firm of Ortiz & Ortiz, LLP serves clients in Astoria and across the five boroughs of New York. We have the experience and knowledge to provide you with confident legal advice for all of your estate planning needs. Our attorneys are well-versed in both federal and New York state laws and can help determine if previously constructed estate plans from out-of-state need to be revised in order to remain valid in New York.
To learn more about what estate planning services are most suitable for your needs, please contact our law firm to schedule a consultation. When we evaluate your estate, we can better determine what sort of estate planning tools may do you the best.
What Estate Planning Measures Are Available in the State of New York?
Ortiz & Ortiz, LLP have decades of experience providing legal services to clients in Astoria and surrounding areas across New York. Our legal team’s primary focus is on estate planning and bankruptcy law.
Examples of Estate Planning Services We Provide:
- Asset Protection: Our lawyers can help you develop asset protection strategies to shield your assets and wealth from creditors and lawsuits.
- Inheritance Disputes: Certain interested parties may have legal grounds to contest a will or trust. Our lawyers have experience providing legal representation to both those looking to dispute an estate plan document and those looking to defend it.
- Last Will and Testament: At the center of nearly every estate plan is a will. We can assist you in the drafting of your will and help to ensure that all is well so that you can rest easier knowing that your heirs will be properly taken care of.
- Power of Attorney: We can help explain the differences between a durable, nondurable, and springing power of attorney and help you decide which is most appropriate for your needs.
- Probate: The probate court process is long and difficult. We will lend our services in hopes of helping you through probate quickly and efficiently.
- Trusts: There are so many different types of trusts available, including but not limited to revocable living trusts, irrevocable trusts, special needs trusts, pet trusts, and charitable trusts. We can help you figure out what type of trust meets your needs.
How Can an Estate Planning Attorney Help You?
Estate plans are an intensely personal matter and so, understandably, it can be difficult to bring in an outsider for assistance. A legal professional is exactly what you need for these matters, though, as there are so many forms, so many state and federal laws, and so many little complexities to keep in mind. One little error could potentially result in all of your planning being for nothing, as a will or a trust is torn apart for being deemed invalid.
It takes a lot to trust a stranger with the particulars of your estate, your assets, and your beneficiaries, but the lawyers of Ortiz & Ortiz, LLP have years of experience helping clients just like you through the process of estate planning, probate court, will dispute, and so much more. We attempt to provide compassionate legal care, but just the same, we will be nonjudgmental and treat every client who walks through our doors with the respect and decency that they deserve.
How Often is it Necessary to Update Your Estate Plan?
While some elements of an estate plan do not (or cannot) be altered without the consent of others, most estate planning documents should be updated, revised, and regularly amended in order to keep up with changes in your life, your family tree, and your finances.
If you have divorced, for example, then it would be wise to update the vast majority of your estate planning documents. The same goes if your spouse or if one of your key beneficiaries has unfortunately passed away in the time since the creation of the documents.
If you have come into new money or now own new property, these changes should also be reflected with an updated estate plan in order to ensure that your beneficiaries receive the proper assets.
Of all the estate plan documents that need to be updated, your will is probably the document that may require the most attention over the years.
Contact the NYC Estate Planning Attorneys of the Ortiz & Ortiz Law Firm to Discuss Your Goals
The time to begin estate planning is now. Those who wait too long risk having all their caution and concern be for naught, as they one day pass away before all documents are properly filed. Don’t let this be you. Your family and heirs deserve to be taken care of, even when you can’t be there for them. Especially when you can’t be there for them.
The law firm of Ortiz & Ortiz, LLP has years of experience providing dedicated legal services to clients in and around New York City. We believe in the importance of compassionate, communicative legal care, and we will do everything within our power to see that your goals are met and that you feel satisfied with the services we provide.
To speak with an attorney from our law firm about your questions and concerns, please contact our law offices to schedule a consultation: 916-796-1858.